100 feared dead in Mediterranean after migrant boat capsize

By Afp

Published: 14:10 EST, 15 November 2016 | Updated: 14:11 EST, 15 November 2016

  • e-mail

Around 100 people were missing, feared drowned, in the Mediterranean on Tuesday after a migrant dinghy capsized off Libya, according to rescue teams frantically searching for survivors in darkness and rough seas.

German NGO Jugend Rettet, whose boat was at the scene, said 23 survivors had been rescued by an oil tanker which was first to reach the stricken boat.

"The crews are searching for survivors in the water and recovering dead bodies," it added in a tweet.

The survivors and four recovered corpses were transferred from the tanker to the Acquarius, a boat operated by another charity group, SOS Mediterranee.

A survivor told one of that organisation's staff that the dinghy had begun to sink at 6:00 am, four hours before the tanker arrived.

"We were 122 on the boat, no children under 15, but there were 10 women travelling with us and only one survived," the survivor was quoted as saying.

"We waited in the water, taking any floating thing to remain afloat, but most of the people drowned, including my little brother. He was 15.

"At 10 the tanker came and rescued us. I want to call home to tell them that my brother died."

Attempts to find any survivors were continuing but were being hampered by very rough conditions and the chances of finding anyone alive appeared slim.

- Second disaster -

The latest tragedy in the Mediterranean came the day after another incident in which it is feared dozens ....

read more from dailymail.co.uk